Friday 3 February 2012

Insomnia and Letters to the Past.

Dear Blog,

It's currently 1:50AM Australian time and I can't fall asleep so I thought I'd drop you a line while I'm awake.

As you already know I like taking photographs and participating in photography based activities (well I enjoy any creative activity really but if I'm going to be biased photography is my favourite). A photography related site I follow posted a link to this group called "Dear Photograph" which was developed by a man named Taylor Jones. The terms for participating in this group are very simple:

1) Find an old picture in your family album (the older the better)
2) Visit the location where the original image was taken. Bring the photo and a camera with you
3) Hold the photograph up so it alines with the current state of the location and take a photo
4) Go home, upload the image and write a brief letter in regards to the photograph

Okay, it's now 2:17AM and I'm starting to feel sleepy (as I should) so the description I just gave may sound a bit off but that's basically what Dear Photograph is all about. It's a public photo album put together by strangers sharing the memories and emotions that are attached with their pictures. Some of the letters are quite moving. Both good and the bad I think all of the memories a photograph can produce are important.
If you like photography or just enjoy flipping through your photo album, or just want something that will put a smile on your face, I highly recommend checking this website out and giving it a go for yourself. Even if you don't post your picture on the page it's still a great excuse to flip through the ol' dusty albums, and it's a lot of fun too. :)

Here's my rendition. I haven't posted any of these but I think I might give it a go at a more reasonable hour.

Good night/morning/whatever you call this time of day


Dear Photograph,

It was the first day of high school and I was just a gangle 12 year old excited to walk through the school doors...

Annabelle

Dear Photograph,

The best part about doing the dishes was making foam towers with the soapsuds.

Annabelle




Dear Photograph,
Back in the day when I couldn't take a picture without getting my fingers in the shot. Twelve years on and I'm still snapping away.
Annabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment